Thursday, January 29, 2009

ICT - Session 3

This week's ICT class pace was simply too fast for me especially when I need more time than my classmates to digest the lesson. Despite reading through the materials before class, I honestly felt like an EM3 student in an Express class. Hmmm.... now I can relate with how my China kid must have felt when I was contract teaching poetry in Dunman High School. Knowing he needed more guidance, I used to give extra lessons. It was such a joy when he passed his poetry exam through his dogged determination.

Have you come across any of the pedagogical approaches as a student? What was your experience like?

During my A level student days, my teachers placed strong emphasis on our text and there weren't much of the pedagogical approaches that we have now. We were taught closely to the syllabus and it was very teacher-centred and textbook-based. However, when I did my degree programme, I was exposed to some of the aspects of Inquiry-Based Learning when our tutors got students to become more involved in the learning process. We had to, by default, do alot of independent reading, research and form our opinions on topics. Teachers assume a mentor and guide roles as they facilitated our discussions and provided feedback.

What do you think is the relationship of these approaches?

The relationship of these approaches are that individually, they all have different focuses but the common goal is to get students to become more involved, engaged and ultimately become a lifelong learner. The direction is to have minimal hand-holding and remove spoon-feeding. The approaches are very effective and efficient towards making students responsible for what they learn. They no longer blindly take what is being taught as the only correct answer but our pedagogies equip them to constructively challenge, question and develop an inquiring mind.

What roles do the various ICT tools/interactive resources play in these approaches?

ICT tools like Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Blogs and Discussion Forum are dynamic.
We can learn by sharing our thoughts, leave comments and read other people's views. ICT facilitates independent learning and is accessible to everyone with a computer and internet connection. A case in point, next week is our ICT e-learning week and it will be virtual learning for us. If we need to communicate with Dr Ashley Tan, we can at 9.30pm through Skype.


No comments:

Post a Comment