Saturday, January 24, 2009

ICT - Session 2

Power of Blogging and Reflections

Though I knew blogs existed I never got round to exploring it before my ICT course as I maintain a diary. In my second reflection after this week's ICT class, I recall an article I read in the Straits Times about Bollywood icon, Amitabh Bachchan's blog. Bachchan had made scathing comments in his blog about the incomplete portrayal of India and Indians in the Golden Globe winner movie, Slumdog Millionaire, directed by British film-maker, Danny Boyle. He has also voiced his grievances about due recognition not being given to western-styled movies directed by Indian directors. This has sparked debates, commentaries from many quarters and the latest was even a legal suit. Movie as we know is a powerful media but blogging is equally powerful!

This week in ICT class we learned about Engaged Learning (EL) which is a continuous process in which students can create their own meaning, collaborate, solve problems and self-regulate their own learning in a facilitated learning setting. We also look into how the roles of teachers, students and ICT come together to make learning more meaningful and effective. We learned about the concepts, dimensions of EL. As for the case study
I chose 'Pupils KanTalk' to see how this works with the dimensions of EL. The technology-mediated pedagogical effort that the Head (English Dept) and teachers of Henderson Secondary School took when they implement KanTalk, a community-based website for sharing of audio and video recording to their students is very impressive and impactful. Clearly learning is made public, interactive and multi-disciplinary in nature and students are more receptive and participative to this technology.

I have a 15 year old niece in secondary 3 and she is way ahead of me in technology. She represents the demographic of the students I will be teaching in school. I know the gulf that exists between us and I know how important it is to bridge the gap. These past two weeks is quite daunting as I am exposed to the new technology related things that I don't know. However, the essence of a teacher is learning new things and I cannot but emphasize to myself the importance and the mandatory nature of ICT for the engaged learning environment. As I continue to take baby steps and make tiny victories in my ICT lesson, I like to thank my tutor, classmates and loved ones for their patience, sharing and understanding
.

Link :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/14/amitabh-bachchan-rubbishes-slumdog-millionaire


1 comment:

  1. I think that you are dealing very well with the challenge. It's easy to just throw up your hands and give up. But I am glad to see that you have got your hands "dirty" and that you are game to try new things. Keep at it!

    Dr Tan

    ReplyDelete